Boozy Rum Balls
Adapted from SprinkleBakes
1/2 cup/ 4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons/ 43 g honey
1 1/2 cups finely ground vanilla wafers, about half a box (such as Nilla Wafers)
1 1/2 cups/ 155g ground walnuts
3 tablespoons/ 45 ml of rum or any alcohol/concentrated flavouring of your choice
1. Crush and grind vanilla wafers in a food processor
2. Crush and grind, using a pulse action, to decimate the walnuts. Be careful to not process it for too long as the oils will come out
3. Pour 1/2 cup of the ground walnuts in a small bowl and set aside for later use
4. Mix chocolate and honey in a small saucepan and combine the two on low heat
5. Combine vanilla wafers, 1 cup of ground walnuts, and flavouring in a large bowl
6. Pour honey-chocolate over the vanilla wafers mixture and stir. The mixture should be quite dry and thick
7. Spoon the mixture by the tablespoon and roll into a ball, then roll in the reserved ground walnuts
8. Store in airtight container. The flavour will fully develop over 4 days as the strength of the alcohol decreases as well. Keeps for up to 4 weeks if stored properly.
Yield: about 20
These were easy enough to make, but time consuming. The original "5 Minute" moniker wouldn't even apply to the microwaved version. The dough was very hard to stir, thank god for strong macarons arms!
I was lucky enough that I had a cookie scoop to evenly portion and round my booze balls, otherwise, I think this would take 3 hours to do! But the fun part of it was that seeing as they turned out looking like cake balls, I decided to put them on a stick and dip them in chocolate! They were pretty. I'd say they're the adult version of cake pops!
Once the flavours have developed. Mr. Meow began liking them very much and sneaky 1, 2, 3....in before dinner. He originally said that he wasn't fond of any holiday "balls". But I think his actions betray his words.